Monday, August 23, 2010

Oh Canada! Day 4

Day four...which was a Sunday for those playing at home started with a trip to Willingdon church in Burnaby. Quite similar to Bridge church back home in Melbourne, it was really great to be in the house of God, praising and worshiping him despite the fact that I am on the other side of the world! The senior pastor at Willingdon preached on Angels, which was quite an interesting topic and something I think I will have to share more on in my blog in the future.

After church we headed to the local shopping mall which goes by the name of Metrotown. Very much like a Chadstone or Highpoint back home, it has all the popular shops plus cinema and restaurants. We started out by having yum cha for an early lunch before hitting the shops. One of the interesting points about this place we had lunch at is that they no longer use the trolleys, but instead everything is ordered from the menu when you arrive. While not totally used to this format and with the menu lacking a few of my old favourites...namely steamed custard buns!!...I didnt enjoy this as much as I would probably have hoped. Luckily we are going to another place for yum cha on Wednesday....hopefully it will be better!

After lunch, we did some shopping, I picked up a new pair of gym shorts and then we made our way up to the cinemas where we caught Inception...something I have been hanging to watch since it came out!! And I have to admit...it was one of the best movies I have watched in a long time! As for the differences between cinemas in Aus and Canada...the main difference for me was they open the theater about 30 minutes before the session starts and they run some sort of pre-show feature which is basically made up of ads and previews. Quite liked the popcorn...although no doubt I put on a couple kilograms with all the butter on them!

After the movie we headed to the Vancouver Chinatown Night Market located in Richmond. Basically it is a long line of tents selling different asian foods, whether it be Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc. The following photos show a few of the foods I trialed along the way.


After well and truly stuffing my face, we did a bit of shopping and then it was time to head home. Another awesome day over here in Vancouver!

No comments: