Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Oh Canada! Day 23

The word is that things are much cheaper in the USA and despite the fact I already had purchased in abundance during my stay in Toronto, I wasnt going to give up the opportunity to do some more shopping before heading home...so today it was off to Seattle!

With Vancouver being just on the border with the USA and Seattle not being far down from the border, it was off early for the drive down. Being a Friday morning and after the peak hour rush the wait at the border was only about 5 minutes and very few questions were asked as to why I was entering the USA, although I did enjoy the final remark by the USA border guard, when he said to me "You are only allowed to stay in the US for a maximum of 90 days, so please dont overstay your time or I will come and look for you!" ...I like to think that if I did overstay my welcome, that exact guard would come looking for me =)

Anyway I was in the USA for the second time in my life and headed for Seattle, but before getting there I decided I needed a coffee but with the limited options I decided to swing by a McDonalds to grab a coffee. This proved to be an awesome idea, due to the fact that when I got inside I noticed they were still serving breakfast and looking up at the menu, my eyes were drawn solely to one thing...HOT CAKES! So it was an order of Hot Cakes and a coffee for me and it was an awesome choice...although I should probably have ordered two serves of Hot Cakes, 3 pancakes just isnt enough for me =)


After polishing off the 2nd breakfast for the day, it was back on the road and continuing the journey to Seattle. A bit after 11am I  found myself in down town Seattle, the first destination being the Space Needle. For those unfamiliar with this, the Space Needle is a tower located in Seattle Center and was built for the 1962 World Fair. The Space Needle is 184 m high at its highest point and 42 m wide at its widest point and weighs 9550 tons. With limited time to see the city, I felt this was a good way to take in the city in a short amount of time.


After spending time looking out a cross the city from the observation level, it was off to grab some lunch in the center of Seattle...today it was "The Cheesecake Factory". Im quite fascinated by trying all these chain restaurants in the US as you hear so much about them in TV shows and movies. But one thing that stands true across basically everything in the USA...the serving are all HUGE!! And The Cheesecake Factory was no exception. Known for their amazing selection of cheesecakes as well as standard menu, I started out with a variation of a cheeseburger, then I ordered a slice of the Caramel, White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cheesecake! All selections were delicious...but I left there feeling totally stuffed!! My body is already starting to hate the USA, with all the crap Im eating here!


From here it was off to the Seattle outlet mall for some shopping! Initially I was only really planning to buy another luggage, since my main luggage case was totally overloaded. But anyone who knows me, will be aware that shopping is a love of mine! But luckily i didnt spend too much today...although I still bought quite a few things =) This include the luggage, underwear (another CK shop...more selections...how could I stop myself!?) and some more gifts for people back home.

After hitting all the shops in the outlet mall it was time to head back to Vancouver, but not before grabbing dinner. Still feeling quite stuffed from my two breakfasts and lunch, the choice was fast food...this time it was Jack in the Box, another fast food chain that only operates in the USA.


Now by this stage of the day I was feeling quite tired and really just wanted to get my food, eat it and get going. So I opted for the double cheeseburger meal with a vanilla shake. But as I ordered, the guy serving me kept asking too many questions, do you want this, do you want that...so I just kept answering away "yes" ... "yes"...."yes"...so when he asked me "do you want regular fries, or curly fries" you can imagine his reaction when I came back with the response "yes" =S In his head he was probably thinking along the lines of "dumb aussie" guy. Oh well...after making myself look dumb, I quickly recovered by going with the curly fries, which proved to be an excellent choice as they were delicious!

After dinner, again my body was feeling like crap from all the food I had fed and was telling me to never come back to the USA! But overall it was wonderful day and really great chance to see another US city

No comments: