Monday, September 6, 2010

Oh Canada! Day 17

Even though Im on holidays, I still struggle to really sleep in...but it does have its advantages. For example today I was up early and decided to take the walk down to Cora's which is about 15-20 minutes from my hotel, but well worth the trek.

Choice for today was the Blueberry pancakes I had previously. After such poor pancakes yesterday, I needed to treat myself to something good today and they definitely hit the spot!

After breakfast it was time to start preparing for the wedding that was on at midday. Suiting up for the first time since I left Melbourne, the weather was not looking too inviting as I headed towards the park where the ceremony was to be held. Overall the weather didnt get too bad while we were there, although we did manage to experience rain, crazy winds and sunshine, all in the space of one hour.

From the service I headed for lunch, today it was Congee Queen that had the pleasure of my company. Although they actually serve a great deal more than just Congee, the Congee they produce is pretty fine. After lunch I still had another 5 or so hours till the reception, so it was off to browse the local mall and kill some time.

Luckily I resisted the urge to do any more shopping before it was time to head to the reception. Although there were a few things that did look nice during my travel around the mall...I really have to put the breaks on my shopping.

Being my first Chinese wedding, it was quite an experience...in particular when the MC got me to do something that resemble karaoke in front of the 200-odd people there. I quite enjoyed the 10 courses deal...although I was not impressed when the fool waiter that was serving the table I was on didnt give me my plate of Lobster! For some reason he served one plate short on only one course...and that course was the Lobster!! And when I quizzed him "Where's my Lobster???" he just gave me a suspicious look as if I had eaten it and hidden the plate and wanted some more...! Anyhow...after that he was a lot faster at bringing out the beer to me...so I guess that was a good thing to come from it...although it would have been nice to Lobster-up.


Another amusing part was when someone mentioned I have a nice "British" accent...I didnt really know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult...but it was funny all the same.



Of course by the end of the night I had drunk too much...but it was all good, since I was going to be up till around 3:30am watching the Carlton game live online starting at the awesome time of 1am (Toronto time). And unfortunately...it went down to the wire with Carlton throwing away countless opportunities to finish off the Swans before they came back and won by 5 points...thats going to burn all summer! But I will leave the footy talk for another post when I reflect more on the year it was.

Overall the wedding was really entertaining and I had a really nice time despite knowing noone there. Tomorrow its time to head to Montreal!

No comments: