Thursday, September 9, 2010

Oh Canada! Day 20

After yesterday being a public holiday in Montreal, today things were back to normal in this city so we got to see thing with a bit more of a workday business feel to things.

Today for breakfast I was off to Cora's for only the fifth time...which is not enough in my books. Today I decided that I should venture away from my typical two choice, the fruit loaded crepe and the blueberry pancakes. Hearing a waiter previously mention the high standard of the waffle...that was my choice for today. Now Im not one to venture far from my trusted favourites...so with this potentially being my last trip to Cora's, I was flaunting with danger in going for a new selection...but again Cora's failed to disappoint! Basically what I got was a massive waffle smeared with custard and then stacked with fruits of various descriptions and then smacked with quantities of cream on top...delicious!


After breakfast it was time for a stroll through what the locals call "the underground city" which is basically just a series of shopping malls that are both underground and above ground...but all connected allowing for you to cross the city with out even leaving the indoors...something Im quite fond of. But I prevented myself from buying anything on this occasion as I bought way too much in Toronto and my luggage is struggling to close anymore...although I like to use the excuse that I have bought too many gifts.

After a bit of window shopping it was off for lunch at Schwartz's Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen which claims to have been serving the best smoked meat from the original recipe of spices since 1928. As one of the most recommended locations in Montreal, we couldnt miss the opportunity to endulge in a smoked meat sandwich. And it truly was amazing! So much meat slapped between a very small amount of bread with a couple of sauces smeared in there...one appeared to be mustard, the other a Schwartz's creation. Although it looks relatively small...I doubt I could have got through another.


Close to Schwartz's is a bakery that is well known for its Bagel's, so while in the neighborhood it was off to pick up some bagel and see what all the talk is about. Unlike Australia, North Americans have a big thing with Bagels...although I still think of them as a bread roll. The name of the bakery we headed to is Fairmount Bagel and by the solid line developing out front, it was obvious that something good must be coming together inside! Some of the selections that are on offer include your regular savoury bagels, but also some sweet options like Blueberry, Cinnamon and Rasin as well as a Chocolate variety.


After picking up a solid selection it was off to Jean Talon Market. This market place is very much like Queen Victoria Market back in Melbourne. Although they do have a small offering of French style baked goods. After spending a bit of time strolling the aisles, I decided to grab a crepe and after some serious hard work trying to make sense of the all french menu...and I mean NO ENGLISH...I settled on the lemon and sugar option and it was very nice.


Afterwards it was back to downtown Montreal for a stroll through before dinner. The selection for the final day in Montreal was a bar style restaurant where I ordered something that resembled a pizza, but the base was much thinner than your standard variety pizza.


Then it was back to the hotel for an early night. Tomorrow morning I need to be up early for the train back to Toronto which will be leaving at the crack of dawn...6am! Good times! Overall Montreal was a lovely place to visit. Being predominantly French oriented...it was an interesting look at a different part of Canada. Although the French Canadians are no where near as nice as your regular variety and the French really do like to do things a bit different to other people...it was still a lovely place to visit and I have many lasting memories...be it food and sights. I definitely recommend that people make a stop here when travelling in Canada, although you can easily see most things within a couple of days.

No comments: