Monday, September 13, 2010

Oh Canada! Day 22

First day back in Vancouver and into the final few days of my Canada adventure. Today the plan was to head up to Whistler, one of the more famous locations in Canada...although much better known for its winter attractions. So it was off early for the drive to Whistler which is close 2 hours.


For those that are unaware, Whistler is a Canadian resort town in the southern Pacific Ranges of the Coast Mountains in the province of British Columbia, Canada, approximately 125 kilometers north of Vancouver. The activity of choice for today was Zip Lining, similar to a flying fox, consists of a pulley suspended on a cable mounted on an incline. The incline in this case being the mountains.


It was quite a nice day to head up there and the scenery on the way there is magnificent!Arriving just before lunch, it was time to check in for Zip Lining and then off to grab some food. Todays selection...unfortunately...McDonalds.

After an "average" lunch, it was time to head up the mountain and get started on the zip lining fun! There are about 5-6 lines that you take as you make your way down the hill, with varying lengths and inclines...but all giving beautiful views as you make your way across vast gully's and through the trees.


After a lot of fun zipping back down to ground, it was time to make the trip back to Vancouver and again it was beautiful to pass the amazing scenery.


On the way back, I had a big desire to hit Grouse Grind one more time before I left Canada, and this evening was the perfect opportunity. I was extremely determined to beat my previous time of 46 minutes and so off I went.

Being later in the day and not the warmest weather, the trail was much less crowded than my first time up the mountain. It was a lovely climb up the mountain and I was extremely pleased to reach the top in a time of 42 minutes! I can go back to Melbourne happy with my two time up the trail.

After a day of zip lining and hiking, there was little more I wanted to do than get to bed and sleep...and that is exactly what I did!

No comments: