Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Why do we need to be critics?

Today I was sitting with a friend over dinner and the friend mentioned to me that they dont like food critics. When I enquired as to why, they explained people need not be so picky about the food, but rather enjoy the food, enjoy the company, enjoy the occasion. Later when I was driving home, I began pondering this and how I felt about it. It is true that I enjoy reading food blogs and restaurant reviews, but what exactly is it about these things that draw my attention. Personally its the introduction to new places, new restaurants to try, to enjoy. There are currently a number of places that Im yet to try but I eargerly await the opportunity!


But I also began thinking about how I live my life. Do I go through my life critique things without reason, looking for things that are wrong instead of enjoying what I have in front of me?

I know that when it comes to restaurants, it is not always about the food that draws me. Thats not to say that I would go back to a place that serves crap (eg. Won Ton House on Russell St), but I look beyond just the food alone. For I would prefer to goto a normal place with someone who was special to me, rather than an awesome place with someone I dont enjoy spending time with.

But there are things that I do get overly picky about...and recently I have noticed that these are the areas that I'm usually most unhappy in relation to. Why do I waste my time worrying about what is missing instead of enjoying what I have got! It could be all gone tomorrow, so why not enjoy today while it is still here.

Life is so short, why do I waste any of my time complaining? Even in the times that I feel down the most, there are still things that I can praise God for. I love gym, no matter how things get, no matter what people say to me or about me, gym will still be there...waiting for me. I love running and no matter how things are going at work...I know that all I need to do is throw on my runners and I can run as far as I like. I love reading and regardless of who is around, I can pull out a book and dive into the pages. All simple things...but at the end of the day I'm just a simple guy...

There have been times when I have thought to review restaurants, to review books or films, but ultimately I chose against it because I feel these things are there to be experienced. They way that I experience them may most likely be totally different to the way you experience them. So I rather not write restaurant reviews, but instead I will just suggest places that I have enjoyed.

Just like eating a coconut, there is a lot to a coconut that is inedible, but at the same time when you look in the center there is the delicious coconut juice and flesh which I enjoy, I will no longer focus on the pieces that I dont like, complaining about them. But instead Im going to look at the parts that I enjoy, the parts that I take pleasure in...whether it be at home, work, church or in relationships...

No comments: