Monday, December 20, 2010

Grade 5 and 6 Kid's Alive Program at Bridge Church

A bit over two years ago I came to Bridge Church in Richmond. I quickly realised that this was the church that I was looking for. Since moving back to Melbourne I had been attending a different church, but never felt like I really fitted in there...but at Bridge I felt the sense of home and strong emphasis on the word that I was looking for.

Initially I planned to join the Production in some capacity, since this was where I had been serving back at my church in Sydney. But due to commitments and life in general outside of church, I didnt actually get involved.

Towards the end of my first year at Bridge...I felt God calling me in a specific direction...to serve in a new space. I felt a new concern placed on my heart...and that focus was on kids. So I signed up for Kid's Alive and I was positioned within the SKA(Senior Kids Alive) group.


Now I wont deny...at first I was nervous! I wasnt sure I was up to the task and I just wasnt used to serving in the kind of position that was so people oriented. But I knew God had placed me in this position for a reason and who am I to turn my back on God's calling.

It was after a couple of months that I was informed that we would be forming two sections within SKA, first being grade 3 and 4 who would continue listening to a cut down message from one of the DKAL's. The other being the grade 5 and 6 children. These kids would be supplied with a daily devotional and a journal and encouraged to commence daily SOAP journalling. It was at this time I was also informed that I would be leading this new program...a bit of a shock considering I had only been there for a few months and didnt see myself as someone who has the potential to kickoff something like this....but as I always say....who am I to turn my back on God's calling.

So we got started...we taught the kids the steps to SOAP journalling... Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer. We encouraged them to take some time away from the TV or computer and give that time to God in order to complete the days devotional.

The results were pleasantly surprising! The children got to work with their journalling. While it would be difficult to expect everyone to complete everyday...there was a good amount of journalling being done by all the kids.

As we all got into the routine, we fell into a good rhythm where we would come together on the weekends and discuss a few select devotionals from the week. The discussions would start around the topic of the days scripture and related message, but there have been many times where the talk has moved on to other questions that the children pose, whether it be in relation to their daily lives or simply understanding a difficult message from the Bible.

While most of the kids wont realise it now, but this routine of completing a SOAP journal and reading a daily devotional, setting time aside each day to spend in God's presence away from the distractions of our daily lives, will ultimately set them up for the future.

It has also reinforced the importance of daily devotionals and doing a SOAP journal. There are times where we can read a devotional, but if we dont take the time to work through our observations and application, then a lot of the time the message will be in one ear and out the other. Sitting down and spending more time thinking about the message will ensure that we have the wisdom to deal with what life throws at us and assist us in our walk with Jesus Christ.

But one thing that has stood out most of all to me since I started this program is just how powerful some of the words are that come out of these kids mouths. When you hear some of the spiritual and Godly words that they share, it is a real encouragement that we have such awesome kids growing up in Kid's Alive, growing up in a strong relationship with Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior!

1 comment:

Carey said...

Great stuff - it's great when you not only get to teach the kids, but learn from them too. Children are very insightful and have interesting perspective. I learned at a conference once, that children's ministry is more important than adult ministry - a kid is 1 whole person yet to learn things, an adult is half a person who has already lived half their life.