Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Battlefield of the Mind

Yeah yeah...I know thats the name of the Joyce Meyer book...Im not trying to claim the message of her book as my own. Rather I just wanted to share on the battle that is the mind!



How often to we think about situations, allow them to dwell in our minds until they end up looking much bigger and much more confronting than they really are in reality? How many hours have we spent stressing over situations only to find that when the time comes...there was really nothing that we needed to worry about in the first place?

But even after saying that...there are still situations in my mind that I allow myself to dwell on...even right now. I keep thinking and thinking...worrying and worrying...but what am I missing out on through all this? And even more significantly...what am I missing out on throughout all this?

Someone said to me recently...stop focusing on the negative aspects and instead enjoy the positive aspects. But we all know that its not that easy...I mean...its a big part of my life! But again...am I making any progress by stressing over the point.

Sometimes I wish I could flip the switch, turn off all thoughts, allow myself to live blissfully ignorant. But again how am I going to learn...how am I going to experience life if I ignore what is going on in front of me.

Let my start by quoting the first piece of scripture for today...a very popular verse when it comes to trusting in God...Proverbs 3:5 -
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Personally I have had this piece of scripture literally thrown at me 100's of times...when Im struggling with a situation...a Godly person will bring out that verse. Unfortunately...a lot of the time I dont really allow the verse to sink in...I dont reflect on what is being said. So today I really wanted to look at this verse!

It says for us to trust in the Lord with all your heart! That equates to every situation, not just the ones that we are confident that we wont falter in. I think thats where I fall down...I trust God to come through...but primarily in the easy situations...the low risk...the ones where it doesnt matter if I dont get what the desired outcome. But thats not what we are told to do...we are told to trust the Lord with all our heart...and that means when the stakes are high! How can God truly work a miracle in my life if I only trust Him to come through in the insignificant times...such as asking God for no traffic on the way to work tomorrow? If there is traffic...its not ideal...but I will survive. No...I need to trust God in the big things!!

Next we are told to lean not on your own understanding. Another point I fall down on...for too many times I look at situations and try to work it out for myself. I try to reach the finish line entirely by my own strength and wisdom. But seriously...how many times do I have to fail before I realise that I need God in everything I do? And look at it from the other point of view...we are called not to do it all by our own understanding...we have a loving God who wants to guide us...we dont have to do it all alone! God created the Heavens and the Earth, I think that's evidence enough that He knows what He is doing. Therefore why bother doing it by your own intelligence when we have God by our side to lean on for wisdom and guidance! Thats a really encouraging aspect to ponder!

The verse continues by advising us in all your ways acknowledge Him. This is important in relation to the last point, as we need to learn that everything we have is from our Lord. Therefore whether it be your skills at work or your skills in the area of sport...in all ways acknowledge God for what He has given you, acknowledge Him for the love He has showered on your life. Acknowledge Him in every situation that you encounter, for He is always there with you, no matter how dark it all seems around you. Thats something you must always remember and hold onto...God is always with you, guiding your path. This is why its so important that we always acknowledge Him. It may sound silly, but there are days when Im driving to work and I will turn off the radio and act as if God is sitting in the car next to me...this way I can ensure that no distractions are going on and I can spend my drive to work talking to God, praising God for all He is.

Finally the verse wraps up by telling us He shall direct your paths. When we trust Him 100%, when we lean on Him for understanding and when we acknowledge Him in every aspect of our life...He will light the path before us an act as our guide through the good times and the bad times. There will be times where the path becomes unclear, but when we trust God....the right path will be shown to us.

So back to my original point about the mind being a battlefield...I got a little off topic so I probably have to revisit this topic from a different view point. But basically we are going to hit trials and we are going to have to work through difficult circumstances. If we try to solve it all on our own, our mind will make a mess of the situations and we will end up causing more mess than we can handle. Thats why we need to trust God in all we do and He will be faithful to us in all our situations and circumstances

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun.
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
(Psalm 37:4-7)

2 comments:

Carey said...

MARK 10: 13-16 - The Little Children and Jesus

13 People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

Kids dont know much, yet they trust their parents to provide for them and take care of them. How much more does a parent give their child when they ask for something - im sure bigger than the child's expectations (maybe a bit disappointing over Christmas though! hehe).. erm.. thats not the point. The point is, too many times we pray to God for things that we can predict and take the safe road. Time to ask God for the bigger things that you cant foreseeably see and 'lean not on your own understanding' :)

Phil 4:7 - And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

--> Promise of God's peace that will guard your heart and mind (from stresses)

Sounds good ay?

Jus@Melb said...

Thanks for sharing Carey. It is true in my life that I have prayed for things I have a confidence will come true since they are not out of the norm.

But lately as I have been facing some more difficult challenges, situations where I see little hope of success...I think this has been a good opportunity to exercise my faith in the face of impossible circumstances.

But unfortunately...it doesnt make it easy...but I pray that when I come through this storm...I will see that Gods plan never fails...as long as I continually turn to him despite my feelings and the circumstances