Sunday, December 19, 2010

Body weight exercises...making them even better!

Okay...it has been way too long since I have written a post about fitness...so no better day than today!

Im a big fan of body weight exercises...I think that being able to do chinups and pullups unassisted is much more practical than being able to bicep curl 50kg+. Im always amazed whenever I watch the ballet and see some of the awesome moves they can perforn, just because they can lift their own body weight. It can be referred to as relative strength, where you compare your weight to strength... and the kind of people who are performing in the ballet or circus are sure to have an amazing relative strength ratio.


Recently I have made it a priority of mine to focus on body weight exercises more where possible.

Previously I was hopeless when it came to dips, I could barely do one unassisted. So I got to work...I did them and I did them again. When I was using the GVP program, I ensured Dips were part of it...which meant 10 sets of 10 repetitions super-setted with a bicep exercise. I didnt like it...my triceps would whinge....but I pushed on. Now...I can do triceps unassisted...with additional weight hanging from the belt around my waste!

Chin-ups have been something I have been working on...and the results are showing. Previously...three sets of ten reps was a difficult task! So again I did them again and again...I worked on my back muscles through other exercises...and the work has paid off!! Im now doing chin ups with up to 15kg hanging from the belt!

Pull ups...I still struggle to do a solid number of sets without assistance...but every week Im edging close...im working on the associated muscles through other exercises...and my goal is to be able to do three sets of ten reps in the near future!

But one thing you can be sure of...body weight exercises are not easy...especially when you first get into them. You will most definitely need to do them assisted...but dont let this make you feel ashamed. They are hard and that is exactly why you dont see many people actually doing them! Its much easier to stand in front of the mirror with a barbell and check yourself out while you are performing bicep curls than it is to do a solid set of unassisted dips!

But why do body weight exercises? Why is it so good? Well since I focused more on body weight exercises...I can honestly say my body has never looked better. I have dropped body fat, while putting on muscles mass. Im more toned and defined than I have been before. Body weight exercises are amazing...and no workout should go without some form of body weight exercise thrown in!

When you reach a point where your relative strength is hitting some quality levels...its then you can start to do some pretty amazing stuff in the gym!!

No comments: