Friday, May 28, 2010

Mindless Eating...

Well my Grandparents just came back from a trip up to Queensland. They drove up with the caravan and covered about 6500km in the last month or so. Tonight I got the chance to go see them and although they are still the same two people that they were before they left, it was awesome to see them all the same.


After I got home and I was taking a shower, I was thinking back to while I was at my Grandparents house, and one thing is they always have lollies out in a bowl or something similiar...and invariably...I will end up eating whatever is before me. Now while I have a small excuse tonight in being that I hadnt eaten dinner before I had been there, all the same its a bad habit to have...especially since I am currently working exceptionally hard to get my body back into a good shape before Summer (be that CA or AUS summer).

I guess its basically called "mindless eating"...where we are not overly hungry, but since the food is before us we just continue to put it in my mouth. Over the past year, I have always held on to the thought of "being conscious of what I put in my mouth", be it sweets, chocolate or alcohol. So from my perspective I think that "mindless eating" is a really bad habit and something that we all need to be careful of.

So as I began pondering how I could share these thought on my blog, I could feel another thought coming into my mind...I could feel God drawing my attention to something else that very much relates to "mindless eating"...and that being mindless thinking.

We all experience it, when we are not really focuses on anything and our mind and thoughts just begin to wonder...and we begin thinking about things...good and/or bad. It also just so happened that this was something that I had been wrestling with earlier tonight. I had let my mind wonder and it had ultimately lead me to something that had a considerably negative impact on how I was feeling...and from that point no matter how hard I tried, I found it very hard to get those thoughts out of my mind!

Isaiah 26:3 says that following:
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. 
We constantly read that we are to keep our eyes firmly on God and listen to His calling on our lives. This is just as important with our thoughts. We must learn to remain focused and not let our thoughts begin to wonder because surely the Devil will use this small opportunity to lead you astray by planting thoughts in your head that will ultimately have you going down the wrong path! This was the exact direction that I was headed tonight, till I committed those thoughts to our Heavenly Father. If I had allowed those thoughts to continue to gain strength in my mind, I know that it would have lead to me making incorrect choices, mistakes and no doubt taking the wrong path.

Mindless eating leads to me basically undoing the hard work that I have been doing in the gym and in general with my diet. Typically I don't eat candy, but when it is sitting before me, its hard to refuse. Its similar with mindless thinking, we pray and follow God's heart, but if we allow our minds to wonder, they will end up in areas that we never wanted to go! That is why its so important that we are disciplined in mind, we constantly have our eyes on our almighty Father in heaven, who loves us more than anything else in this world. If we keep our focus on Him, we will not be lead astray, for his path is perfect.

I lift up my eyes to the hills—
       where does my help come from?
 My help comes from the LORD,
       the Maker of heaven and earth.
 He will not let your foot slip—
       he who watches over you will not slumber;
 indeed, he who watches over Israel
       will neither slumber nor sleep.
 The LORD watches over you—
       the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
 the sun will not harm you by day,
       nor the moon by night.
 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
       he will watch over your life;
 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
       both now and forevermore.
(Psalm 121)

No comments: