Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Building blocks to becoming a Disciple

In Galatians 5:22 Paul writes the following -
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness, self-control
These all highlight the characteristics of a disciple of Jesus!

For some reason when I first gave my life to Jesus, I found the idea of being a disciple a little daunting. Almost as if I wasnt good enough to be a disciple of Jesus, because I wasnt good enough. But then there was one particular verse in Jeremiah that really opened my eyes to the great plan and purpose God has for my life. That verse was Jeremiah 29:11 where it says
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
But beyond just my personal journey with Christ we must come to realise the great plan God has for His church. For nothing can stop the progress of God, as it is stated in Matthew 16:18 -
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
See what Jesus is saying there, nothing will overcome the church!

One of the great things that you discover when you give your life to Jesus is that the same power that rose Jesus from the dead is also living in us! Without this we have nothing! God wants to build our lives, He is committed to our success. Thats why He is continually putting us through situations which see us grow and develop our characters to be more like our savior Jesus Christ, so that we can become Disciples.

But being a disciple is not just being a believer of Jesus. Being a disciple means to be a disciplined person! But what else should we be doing if we want to become a disciple of Jesus?

Disciples grow in Small Groups

It says in Mark 3:13-14 the following -
Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted, and they came to him. 14He appointed twelve—designating them apostles—that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach
Notice Jesus primary goal was not just to train them, it was to grow them. He knew that in order to grow them, He would need to bring them into relationship. This is again highlighted in 1 Peter 3:8 where it is written -
Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.
Through attending small groups and the relationships we develop during these times together we grow as disciples of Jesus Christ! There have been countless times where I have had the opportunity to share very personal situations with those people in my small group and through these occasions we grow with each other and guide each other.

Disciples grow through Volunteering

This is one area where it gives you the opportunity to touch someone with the love of God. In Mark 6:7-13 it speaks of where Jesus sends out the twelve disciples and one verse in particular highlights Jesus desire, where it says -
...he sent them out two by two and gave them authority...
They were given instructions and sent out to carry out the plans Jesus had for them. To put it simply, if you want to grow, you need to serve.

I can talk about this from a personal level. During my time in Sydney, I was serving on the sound desk at church. This was an awesome opportunity and I was very grateful to God for giving me that opportunity. It allowed me to grow during that season and I also developed some strong relationships with others I was serving with at the time. But when I returned to Melbourne, I could tell that God was no longer calling me to serve in the same areas, but rather there was a new calling on my life. And as most people would know that was in Childrens ministry or "Kid's Alive" as its better known. This was where God wanted me and where He had plans for me to grow. And as I look back over my time in Kid's Alive so far, I'm really grateful for the opportunity and how much I have grown in this role and I look forward to what God has in store for me in the coming months!

Disciples grow through Training

We need teaching if we are to continue on forward for Jesus. In Matthew 28:18-20 it says -
18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
We see that Jesus is commanding them to go out and teach others to obey what Jesus has taught them! When reading new testament, we see the way in which Jesus taught people, and that was to use Parables. For it is without proper teaching that we cannot pursue the callings that God has placed on our lives. So what are we to do in order to ensure we have the understanding required to be a disciple of Jesus Christ? Its said very well in Joshua 1 where the Lord says to Joshua the following -
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
When we daily feed on the word of God, we will continually grow. When we constantly allow Jesus to guide us in our lives, we will become powerful people of God and mighty Disciples of Jesus Christ!
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 
(Matt 16:24-25)

No comments: