Thursday, May 27, 2010

Up and Down!

Just over a month now since I got back from China and man has it been an up and down few weeks! I knew that it was always going to be a wild ride coming back from mission, but when you add the ups and downs of everyday life, it has made for a very interesting month. Just like Carlton's form over the past month, there has been some big highs, but also some low lows!


When I got back, I went straight back to work and that was a challenge in itself. Going from a place as desperate as the welfare center and then back into the unfortunately selfish place that is my workplace, I was quite stunned. Thats not to say that I was totally surprised, but it really highlighted how much we dont appreciate what we have and how much we care about such trivial things. Although thats really cliched, these things were just highlighted even more under the circumstance.

One of the other difficulties I have been struggling with since I returned is the issue of compassion for others in trivial circumstances. The children in Sanmenxia possess such amazing joy and happiness under such great adversity. What is that you look forward to during your week? Is it going out to watch a movie with friends? Going to watch the football? Going on a trip away? For the children in Sanmenxia, basically the best thing that have to look forward to is a sweet milk drink they get in the afternoon each day. You should see the smiles on their faces as they receive such a trivial thing to us.

So over the past couple weeks, I have listened to people talk about their problems, and this is not to say that I dont enjoy supporting people when they have a problem, but I have lacked the compassion that I have had in the past. At first I thought it was out of fatigue, but I started to realise that it was because in some ways I had become emotionally numb. I needed sometime to re-adjust to life in Melbourne. While I had always believed that the return to Melbourne would be smooth, I started to see some difficulties arise. Basically I just needed some more time...some more rest...and most of all...more time with God in prayer!

But this isn't to say im not guilty of the same things, being upset over small issues when you look at them with perspective. I too get wrapped up in such insignificant and trivial situations, I allow them to take such a strong grasp of me emotionally! Its so silly when you reflect back. Its so silly when you think about the simple fact that God is by our side always...just waiting for us to ask for His help, His guidance, His amazing love!

Thank you to the people who have been supportive of me since my return from China, you have been amazing and I know that God will bless you! And I just want to remind you that no matter what you are going through, no matter what you are feeling, no matter what you think you can see with your eyes...always bring everything God, allow Him to take hold of every situation...and you will never be led astray!

No comments: