Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mission 2012 - Reunited With The Kids

Entry Six of my China blog:
Day Six…after grabbing breakfast at the hotel, something I will skip over as it is very mediocre, we commenced the day with a tour of the city center. We caught the bus up to the town square and bought some supplies from the supermarket they have there. Quite well stocked, especially when it comes to the tasty snacks China has on offer. I also took this is as a good chance to snap some photos.


We did a bit of walking around the local streets, checking out the market areas and the likes before heading back to the hotel.




Last time I was here in Sanmenxia we stayed in a hotel that went by the name "Tobacco Hotel" although it was totally non-smoking (which actually means you can smoke anywhere you like). This time we are in a different hotel, but I found the following quite interesting...


We were informed of our choices of where we would be volunteering, I was placed with the boys working with the teacher they have. This was the area that I had selected as my preference so I was well pleased.

We spend the afternoon at the center in our groups. One of the awesome things about the center this time is the fact that everything has come so far. The carers and teachers have introduced more structured programs and its really bringing about great changes!


Once getting inside, we introduced ourselves to the teacher and we integrated into the activites that they had planned for the afternoon. Today was numbers, where the children went through the numbers 1-10 and then had to place small cards displaying a number on the board matching up with the correct number. This was followed up with some free play time.




It was so great to see all the kids again. Most of these kids are the ones I spent most of my time with last time I was here. To see them again brought such happiness to my heart. To see their big smiles, to recieve their big hugs, to hear their wonderful laughs…it all brought such joy to my heart. All my concerns, worries and problems back home…they seem so insignificant…so unimportant.

But I have to make note of one person who stood out today…to see Dang San Ying again, the girl in the wheelchair who sewed my button back on last time I was here…to see her again…to see her happy face…that really was wonderful…she is one I will never forget!


As we only had the afternoon there, time sped by extremely quickly and it was time to go before we knew it. Dinner tonight was near the hotel we stayed in last time I was in Sanmenxia. Fairly standard food, nothing really of note. 

An awesome day and the start of great things to come!

No comments: