Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mission 2012 - Breakfast Appreciation

Entry Eleven of my China blog:
Day Eleven…Im getting into the habbit of having breakfast after the prayer meeting as it affords me another 15 minutes sleep in the morning…that is something I really need at the moment! When you go into the breakfast place each morning, they present you with a few mantou and a hardboiled egg, which is cooked in some kind of soy sauce. Untill this morning I never ate the egg…probably because I was too lazy to take the shell of and get soy sauce over my hands. But this may sound silly…this morning I decided I would eat the egg. Every day the kids in the welfare center are served up such simple meals, with relatively low nutritional content unfortunately. But they eat it up like its the best meal they ever had. They dont complain…they dont throw any away. They are just happy to get what they have been given. I wont let this post turn into a self-reflection post too much…but I just have to say that this is an area in my life I really need to focus on. Am I happy with what I have been given or am I just always asking for more and more? Am I grateful for what I have been given or am I just looking for the pieces that are missing? I feel God is really pressing this topic to the front of my mind and its something that I know during this trip I will see great changes in my mindset.

Off to the center at 8:30am and we commenced the morning as per usual with music, song and dance. Pretty uneventful morning that went off without a hitch, I even had time to take WenKou down to the Therapy room to do some exercises which led right into lunch time.


Lunch time was the standard affair and shortly after it was back to the center. This is where the fun begins… This afternoon it was our turn to run the class. We commenced with making bracelets using string and beads and this went off without too many headaches. But at the end of this we were going to do some exercises using the whiteboard…but wouldnt you know it…NO WHITEBOARD MARKERS to be found ANYWHERE! In the space of 10 minutes while we searched high and low for where the teacher had placed the markers, the kids went from well behaved to totally out of control. It is summed up by Fu Rui coming up to me with a texta in his hand AND a LOT of texta across his forehead! So ultimately the afternoon was free play time for the kids…lesson learnt is dont forget a whiteboard marker!

The day ended with the kids calm again, watching some tv. We headed off to dinner at a supposed "Shanghai" style restaurant…but according to our Shanghai team member…the food on offer was far from Shanghai-nese. But it was good all the same. As per usual I ate my fair share and was pretty full as we made the walk back to the hotel.

Tonight was my turn to lead the evening worship meeting…something I have NEVER done in my whole entire life!! The two songs I chose were: Hope of all hearts by Planetshakers and This is our God by Hillsong. I opened by just sharing on how grateful I am for all that God has done in my life, especially as we are here in Sanmenxia it really highlights how awesome God is and how much we are blessed. I guess it went well…

No comments: