Thursday, March 10, 2011

Reflecting on where to go

What haven't I achieved in my life yet, that I sincerely want to achieve before my days finish up?

I guess sometime we reflect on our lives, where we are at, what we have achieved to date and what are the things we are still striving for?

I guess right now reflecting on these questions for myself it highlights the things that are important in my life and the things that have priority in my life.

I guess one of the biggest achievements in my life was to serve on a mission trip. It may sound insignificant, but being given the opportunity to go to China and bless those children along side a group of amazing people was an unforgettable opportunity and an experience which will stay with me forever. That's not to say I would not go again...I sincerely want to do it again in Gods timing, but that is one event in my life so far that I'm glad I completed.

On a smaller scale, but just as significant is serving in Kid's Alive. Again God has given me an amazing opportunity to serve Him in such powerful surroundings. I praise God for giving this chance and again my passion for this area of service only continues to grow.

But looking more at those things that I am still yet to achieve, I guess there are really four things that standout...and while they may seem silly or trivial...I guess it just reflects what I find significant.

Establish a legacy in my serving of God
What I mean by that is, when I am finished serving in my current capacity, I pray that I have left some form of legacy for others to follow. I'm not talking about revolutionising the church or something like that, I'm simple saying that when I have finished my time I pray that I have made a difference, a difference as God has called me to.

Marry the right woman
One day when that woman walks into my life...or maybe she is already in my life...I'm going to take care of her...forever. I guess this is the promise of everyman when he finds that woman. I wont bore you with the details...but to sum it up...I would be her man and protect her, care for her, nurture her and love her. And when she reaches the end...I want her to be able to say she was happy she married me.

Start a family
I'm not putting a number to how many kids I plan to have, but at some point after I'm married I want to start a family. I want to be the loving father that God has called me to be. I want to model myself on the perfect example of what a parent should be...our heavenly father. That's not saying that my parents were bad...but just we have the perfect example of how we should be as parents when we look at God.

Finally...

Watch the current Carlton side win a Grand Final
Its been a while coming...but as we move closer to that specular day...the anticipation builds more and more! To be able to sit there in the crowd after riding out the lows of the past 10 years will be just spectacular. The feeling of being there just cannot be matched.



I guess the last one sounds a bit silly...but I guess its just one of my passions. But one side note...while I pursue these...I pray that God continually checks my heart and that I don't make a move without it being confirmed by God as part of His plan for my life. I pray that my heart is in line with God's heart and that my desires match up with His.

The point of this post...I guess I could basically use this as a checklist...a few years down the track...I can look back and see how many of these I have been able to tick off and how far away I am with the other ones...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your goals are very admirable Justin. I think you have already left a legacy with the children you have given your time to. I too am striving to leave the same legacy by being a Scout Leader. With the life we lead nowdays children may have all the gadgets in the world but what most of them want the most is for someone to spend some time with them. I admire you for committing to the Kids Alive program. Your experiences there will stay with you forever.
The lucky girl that is just around the corner will be swept off her feet. I think women's liberation has done an injustice to men like you. A wife was once something to cherish and in return you received unconditional love. I don't see it that way anymore. Some women don't want to be cherished and others think they have to be like a man to prove themselves.
And your babies......aren't they going to have the best Dad around? You write with such passion about children that I think you are a natural father who will be all that he can be to his kids. I hope you have time to keep up your blog when they start arriving so I can here all about them.
Is your football dream 'silly' - I don't think so. You want them to succeed. There is nothing wrong in wanting that for someone else.
You have your faith and the strength inside you to fullfill your dreams. I enjoy reading it chapter by chapter as it unfolds.

Anonymous said...

Jus, you are such a sensible man! I believe all the things that you desired in your life, will be or already on the way for you. You def will be a good man and good father. Come on, just live the life as it flows~~