Saturday, March 5, 2011

Are you a judge?

Tonight my friend told me a sad story about her parents. She spoke about how her father was abusive towards her mother, how he would hit her and become horribly angry with her over such trivial things. This is all despite the mother treating the father very well in almost every way. This ultimately leads my friend to blaming herself for the trouble, and since she is not in the same country as her parents, she is unable to be there for her mum physically.

Now I may not know the whole picture to this story, but when I heard all this and more, I felt both mad and upset. I felt mad because a man should never physically hurt a woman, a husband should love and appreciate his wife. I felt sad because there is nothing I can do to help this woman, there is basically nothing I can say. But above all else, I began having angry thoughts towards this man.

At this point I felt myself reminded of what we are taught in the gospel. As it says in Luke 6:37 -
“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
We should never take on the responsibility of judging others for their actions. While I would never treat a woman in this way, most of all my wife...I do understand that Im in no position to cast judgement on Him. For that is entirely up to God...not me!

That doesnt mean I dont care about this womans trial...but rather than cast blame on this man, I will pray for her, I will pray for him. But most of all...I wont cast judgement.For I have my own flaws to deal with, and if I want to analyse something...it should be my own faults, not others.

So I finish with this final piece of scripture which I like to refer to in these situations:

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. (Matthew 7:1-5)


3 comments:

Lilly said...

The story got me thinking whether forgiveness is weakness. Maybe just because she always forgives him, he takes that for granted. Had she not forgiven him so easily, would him respect her more?? I know all the books tell people forgiveness is not weakness, but in reality the consequence of forgiveness is not necessarily good. What do you reckon? I have no idea.

Additionally, I believe she never judges him. Otherwise she would not put up with him many times. If you really love someone, naturally you will not judge him or her.

Lilly said...

Btw, you wrote "most of all my wife" instead of "most of all my life". he he.

Unknown said...

I must admit I don't like to judge people unless I have been in their shoes. And honestly, who has really done that?
It seems to me this man needs as much help as what his wife does. There is something very wrong if he thinks he can express his feelings by violence.
I believe true forgiveness is a strength.