Sunday, January 17, 2010

Knowing Gods Purpose

Today's message is more directed at Christians, but I also pray that it will serve those that read this blog and are not yet believers of Jesus Christ. It is my hearts desire that everyone who reads my blog will eventually come to the point that they are prepared to give their life to Jesus and confess He is their savior. Anyhow I hope this post will be helpful for you.

As I have stated many times in the past, God created each of us for a purpose as it says in Psalm 139:16
You saw me before I was born.
      Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
   Every moment was laid out
      before a single day had passed.
Before you had even formed inside your mothers womb, God had planned every day of your life. He had an amazing purpose in store for you. When we are born again, we pray that we will live for God and the purpose He has for our lives....but how do we discover what the purpose actually is?

Until we know God intimately we cannot truly see our purpose, we cannot understand His motives and we will not be able to understand the great promises. I didnt fully appreciate this when I first was saved. I mean I praised God and repented my past ways, but I didnt seek the intimate relationship that God is after with us. Then I began to wonder why I couldnt fully understand what God had planned for my life. It was then that I not only began seeing my purpose, but my desire to serve God increased. My heart was more in line with God's heart, from spending time with God and in His word, my passions mirrored His passions. This highlights why it so important to know God intimately. It is summarised in Ephesians 1:11-12
In him we were also chosen,having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.

Another problem is living your life without a plan. Many Christians live their lives without a plan, they love God, they are kind to others, but beyond that they dont have a passion to really serve God, they are just going through the motions till the grow old and go to heaven. This is similar to the way a lot of people go to the gym. They go to they gym because they want to be "healthy", but when they are there, they dont have a plan and they workout with no purpose. This is not going to see the results you are after because no doubt you are doing exercise that dont serve the purpose you are after

It's important we live a life with a plan and a purpose. We are not to be luke warm in our ways. This is not the life God calls us to live, as it says in Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.
We are God's masterpiece!! What more motivation do we need. We are called to do the "good things" that were "planned for us long ago". We are called to do great things, not mediocre things. When was the last time you saw a masterpiece that was only "mediocre"?

But some people may feel daunted by the fact that they are destined for great things. It similar to when you are in your work place and your boss gives your an extremely challenging duty, something you are to complete on your own. This is exactly how i felt when I was sent to Canberra for work on my first trip. I will sent up their alone and with little background knowledge and a very tight deadline. The whole situation felt really daunting, I was unsure I could complete the task set for me. This is how we can feel sometimes when we think about Gods purpose for our lives. But you need not worry for God is with us and will guide us, as it says in Deuteronomy 31:8
Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.”
Pretty awesome promise that! The Lord will go ahead of us, He will always be with us.

But despite all this, some non-believers will still question why? Why do we serve God? Why do we do this? Because we desire to please our holy father and closest friend. When you fully appreciate the sacrifice that Jesus made for us on the cross, when you understand that God gave up His only son so that we could be redeemed, you will see the great love God has for us. John 3:16 says it all
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
When you reach they point where you are in close relationship with God, your heart will desire to please Him for you will see the great things He has already done in your life and also the great promises that await us.

We are called for a great purpose in life. We were not put on Earth to just go through the motions, but to fulfill God great purpose for our lives. We have all been given spiritual gifts from our Lord in order for us to fulfill our calling, as it highlights in 1 Peter 4:10
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
Therefore don't be a normal Christian, for we are called to be extraordinary Christians, just as Jesus lived an extraordinary life.

Remember what Jesus sacrificed for us and remember the love God has poured out on us.

No comments: