Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Who we have faith in...

Im bound to repeat some of my earlier points in this post, but I was just drawn to writing another post about faith, but this time I will focus more on who we put our faith in.

Recently I went through a situation where I put my faith in someone and they ultimately failed me. At the time I felt quite disappointed, I had faith that they would help me, they had agreed to help me, but in the end they felt my request was not that important and ignored it (I guess im still feeling a bit unhappy about it).

Afterward I began thinking about who we trust and why. Everyday without even consciously thinking about it we put our faith in others. We may trust that the electricity company will supply power to our house, we may trust that the transport company will deliver us to work, we may trust our loved one to cook for us. And most of the time we trust in these things without giving it a second thought.

But the trouble with trusting in "man" is the simple fact that man can prove untrustworthy. It may not be for malicious intentions, but there are times when "man" will let us down.  And at those points we can feel extremely hurt, because we have put our faith in someone and they have proved unfaithful.

But should we abandon having faith in anyone, from fear of being hurt? That would be impossible, as we all know its impossible to live without faith. But we need to look at who we trust. The wonderful thing is there is one who we can always trust upon and know that we will never be let down...

God. He is absolutely trustworthy. One of my most favourite lines in the Bible is Hebrews 13:5
"I will never leave you, I will never forsake you"
This sums up the awesome promise we have in Christ. I only need to look through the book of Matthew to find countless references to the power of faith in God. Jesus highlights the power of having faith and prayer in Matthew 21:22 when He says
And whatever you ask for in prayer, having faith and [really] believing, you will receive.
Man can say that to you, but you know that there is the chance he will let you down. But if you look throughout the entire Bible and throughout the entire history for that fact, you will see there is not one example of a time when Jesus has lied or failed us!! Do you know one person who lay claim to that fact?

But another point to why its so important to have faith in Christ is the fact that its only when we put our faith in Him 100% that we will see amazing things begin to happen. Look at the man in Mark chapter 2 where his friends lowered him through the roof of the house so that he could get to Jesus. Then as it says in Mark 2:5
When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven."
Because of the mans faith, he was healed. When we have such great faith in Jesus, He is able to work miracles in our lives! There are many other examples of stories like this throughout the new testament. They all serve to highlight the power of having faith in Jesus and bringing our troubles before Him.

Next time you are in the middle of a troubling situation and you have no idea how you are going to make it through, just take some time to pray to the Lord. Bring your problem before Him and have faith that He will see you through. When you look at the great men of the Bible, one thing the have in common is they all had a great faith in the Lord. Again I want to highlight that if we ask in faith we shall receive (refer to 1 John 4:14, 15; Mark 11:24; Matt. 21:22)

"The just shall live by his faith" Habakkuk 2:4

1 comment:

Lilly said...

I especially enjoy reading your posts about Christianity. They guide me in my meditation, and help me find some sort of inner peace. I am often surprised by the power of those words, which make me feel calmer.