Sunday, February 27, 2011

One week in Singapore

Im back from Singapore! What a week....it went by in the blink of an eye. But it was a lot of fun and despite it only being 1 week...I have come away with lots of great memories =)


So as a bit of a run down...took off Monday afternoon for Singapore. Work had booked me on the Qantas flight which turned out to be one of the new A380 planes. Upon boarding, we were told it was very new...only 2 weeks old to be exact! But luckily it was a very smooth and enjoyable flight...despite a few glitches with the entertainment system. I was seated next to a middle age Singaporean lady...who really loved a chat...and luckily for me...the person on her other side slept the entire flight...so I got her life story. But as most people who know me are aware...I am always making new friends on flights...and this was no different. It was as we were landing in Singapore, she asked me if I would like her email so we could keep in touch...how could I refuse =)

Arriving in Singapore on schedule, I was met by a good friend I met on my mission trip in China last year. It was really great seeing her again after so long. It was then off to my hotel to check-in and get some rest before my first day at Google.

Now for those unaware, my company is Google partner...which basically means we work with Google on mapping related projects. As more and more businesses utilise online mapping services, this partnership is getting stronger and stronger. So anyway...I was there to be trained up on utilising and developing with one of their new product suites.

First impression of the Google offices...very laid back and relaxed. Everyone was very friendly...which I feel is a result of the culture that Google promotes. Also the unlimited snacks and drinks was very welcoming...especially since I'm a big fan of Asian snacks =) My company could really learn a thing or ten from Google!

Each night was basically an opportunity to meet up with friends and get to see the night life and sights of Singapore =) Special note goes to the buffet at the Shangri-la hotel...so much food! But most of all it was great to catch up with people who I havent seen for quite some time...Im truly blessed to have such awesome friends! Thanks everyone for being so welcoming and accommodating!

Managed to do a good slab of shopping over the week, which resulted in a range of new additions to the wardrobe =)

But before I knew it, the time was 5pm on Saturday night and it was time to head to Changi airport and make the trek back home. Another relatively smooth flight back to Melbourne and it was all over...back to normal tomorrow.

It was a fun and interesting week. I learned a lot at Google and it was really great working with some of their top Software Engineers from the US and Asia. Got the opportunity to try some delicious foods in Singapore and most of all...got to spend time with some great friends =)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You seemed to have had a wonderful week. You sound really happy.

Anonymous said...

Hey JJ,
cool blog man, there is mine
http://marcossupra.blogspot.com/