Monday, January 17, 2011

Finishing Strongly

2010 didn't finish the way I wanted...I have mentioned that previously. This is quite troublesome for me since I am quite pedantic when it comes to perfection. I like everything to be completed to a high standard, whether it be a project at work, or a special occasion with people I care about. I like things to be completed with a good outcome, gives you a nice aftertaste to the situation.


This desire to complete things well can have its side effects, it can lead to regret when things dont end well...but generally its a good thing to want to finish strongly! So after feeling low recently, the message that was shared at church last night was extremely timely and really spoke into my heart....isnt it just awesome how God will deliver messages to us at the exact moment we need it!

In 2 Timothy, Paul writes of the fact that he is well aware that end for him is very near. We are led to believe that Paul is at that moment in prison and knows that only God can deliver him from the circumstances. But depite the hopelessness of the situation, He doesnt fall into self-pity but rather embraces the end and is pleased that he has been able to serve the Lord and rejoices in what awaits Him. This is highlighted in the verses of 2 Tim 4:6-8 where we read -
For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 
I guess what starts to become clear is that its not exactly how we start the race, but rather how we finish the race which is significant. And this is relevant to the way that we finish each year or even each period or season in our lives. Jesus wants us to finish these strongly...and this includes 2011.

But then I look at the end of 2010, a year that I couldnt really say that I finished strongly. What can I do to ensure that in 2011, I finish this year strongly as Jesus intends me too? The following are some points that we need to hold onto if we intend to complete this year well:

We must stay committed to the gospel
Its fair to say that the journey we are on wont be an easy one, there will be countless challenges along the way. We actually get an insight into the trials that Paul faced in 2 Cor 11:23-28, its hard to imagine going through all these things personally...but we see Paul has always pressed on for Jesus despite the circumstances. Jail time, lashings, beaten, pelted with stones and gone without food and shelter are just a few things that Paul has encountered on his pursuit to spread the name of Jesus and finish his race strongly. We can draw inspiration from this for our own lives in order to keep going and doing whatever we can in the name of Jesus. Its my prayer that I can be transformed into an even more passionate man committed to the word of God.

We must finish what we started
I really struggle to comprehend how people can commence something and not want to see it to completion. One particular example of this was a friend I worked with in one of my previous jobs. At the time he was completing his DipEd, something that he has been working on for much longer than the standard 2 years. He kept postponing things, delaying things and coming up with excuses. In the end it basically was at the point where there was only one assessment piece left, but despite that he just didnt have the motivation or passion to get across the line.

But this also applies to smaller things, be it tasks around the house, getting fit or even simply reading a book. We must learn to finish what we started, for there is a course that has been set out before us. We have an obligation to finish what God has set out before us, there is no room for excuses or reasons as to why we cant reach the end. Another important factor is just how precious time is, we cant waste it. There is a verse in Colossians 4:17 that encapsulates the message well -
See to it that you complete the ministry you have received in the Lord
This is what we need to apply to our lives daily. We need to be people who complete the work of the Lord. So how do we exactly do that? Well here are some thoughts:
  • Finish the practical jobs around the home. 
    • Complete those things you keep putting off 
  • Complete your commitment or obedience
    • Deal with things God puts the focus upon
    • And here is my judgment about what is best for you in this matter. Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. (2 Corinthians 8:10-11)
  • Resolution and Reconciliation
    • In Matthew 5 we see Jesus call us to be reconciled to each other
    • We must learn to come before God and lay down our issues 
Focus on the future
I am guilty recently of being so focused on what has gone by, rather than looking forward with anticipation to what the future holds. I have allowed my mind to dwell on my mistakes rather than looking to the horizon for the new opportunities that await me. We are an unfinished life! Im only 27...I still have a long way to go! Therefore we still have plenty of time in order to become more like Jesus. That is not to say we take our time and relax...for the process of refining our character in order to be more Christ like takes a lifetime!

In 1 John 3:2 we are given the following encouragement -
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears,we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
We need to continually have a clear focus on the future. But again this is a lot more difficult than it sounds, just as I have experienced recently. So how do we keep our focus fixed on whats ahead?
  • Dont be distracted from what you are supposed to do
    • The devil will constantly attack us and attempt to draw our attention from doing things for the kingdom of God.
    • There are countless instances where just before serving, I experience some form of trouble, typically emotional. I then must fight to keep my emotions at bay while I serve God. I must keep my focus on the task that is before me. 
    • There are times when I have been offered new opportunities to serve Gods kingdom, but even those people closest to me have discouraged me from taking it. There are then moments where I begin to doubt whether I should pursue the opportunity, I begin to doubt whether I can actually do what I am called to do or am I just going to fail as people suggest?
    • But I draw strength from God, because I know that the only reason that the enemy is attacking me is because I am doing what God has planned for me, I am fulfilling my purpose. It is when I acknowledge this that I push on with a new found power.
  • Renew your sense of expectation
    • With any new chapter in life, you commence it with a sense of excitement and expectation for what awaits you.
    • This same thing applies when coming through trials and troubles, we must expect breakthroughs. In all areas we must have a sense of expectation!
    • I am daily renewing my expectation on the Lord to come through in the areas of my life which are most barren.
  • Prepare yourself for what God is about to do
    • One of my biggest mistakes is to be so caught up in the mistakes and missed opportunities, only focusing on them and not looking ahead. It is through this behavior that I will ultimately miss what God has prepared for me.
    • God has a plan for our lives, so despite the pain we feel now, there is a reason and a course that we are on. So we must be prepared for all eventualities...be it good or not so good!
    • The awesome news is...God has a plan for us to prosper!
But above all else, if God is truly a God of love, if we are an unfinished life...the best is yet to come!

Deal with disappointments
As we have seen, Paul wrote of the hard circumstances that he encountered, situations that would have discouraged most people. This is something we need to learn to deal with, for each year will bring disappointments with it and we will fear that things will repeat. But we have a confidence when we acknowledge that our Lord stands side by side with us where ever we go, as we hear Paul say in 2 Timothy 4:16-18 -
At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
This is an area where I personally need the most work, the art of dealing with disappointments. Whenever you hit that wall of disappointment, you have two choice to make: do you stay down and sulk or do you stand back up and press on despite your injuries, be it emotional or physical.

The good news is that there is a God in heaven who will empower us, who will never leave us and will ultimately see us through. Our God will never just throw us aside saying that we are a lost cause, for He is a compassionate God who wants to see us succeed!

Praise God with thankfulness
When things are not going as we expect, its easy to become ungrateful and complain. Its in this time that we begin to forget all the great things have preceded our current situation. I am guilty of this in the past, I have hit the wall of disappointment and been so focused on that event, that I have forgotten all that God has blessed me with before that situation. But knowing this fault gives me the opportunity to grow and not make the same mistake. When I hit that wall, I need to now allow myself to be dragged further down, but rather I must stand tall and praise God with a heart of thankfulness! For despite all the trials I have been through, there has never been one that has ultimately beaten me...for God has always seen me through in the end. It is just the course that I have ultimately taken is not the course that I expected or anticipated. So I praise God for all that He has done and all that He continues to do in my life.

So looking at the year ahead, its my prayer that we will finish strongly, we will complete those tasks that God has set before us for 2011 and we will be people who are filled with praise for our Father in heaven.


After writing this, after reflecting back of 2010 again, I'm beginning to feel that 2010 didn't finish that badly. Actually I feel I finished well, for I did all I was called to do. Despite the disappointments I was faced with, I still gave my best in every situation and never gave up. When you give your all, when you follow Gods heart, you can rest assured for the rest is in God's hands.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds about right Justin. In one of our sermons recently, we learned that a lot of ppl think that God is like a genie who is suppose to make life happy for us.. and that our sole purpose in life therefore is to be happy all the time. Thats a lie, and people need to realise that God will 'do life with you', not make all your wishes and dreams come true. That doesnt mean He's not God, it means that God cares enough to not leave us alone when we do go through trials and personal growth!

Jus@Melb said...

I'm glad its gets your approval. One verse that usually comes to mind for me is Psalm 84:11 where it says "For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless."

It doesn't mean that God will give us everything we want, but rather He is a God that loves us and will not hold back good things from us.

If I miss out on a good job opportunity, its not that God wants me to be unhappy, that He is neglecting my prayer request...for I trust that as long as I continue to walk in Jesus footsteps I will receive all I need.