Monday, October 11, 2010

Melbourne Half Marathon and Survival Mode

Well I did the Melbourne half marathon yesterday, 21.1 km which trekked from the inner city up to albert park and around about, then back to the city and finished up with a lap of the MCG. Being my first run of this type, I was a little unsure of how to approach it and how I would go. In the end I finished it successfully and while I feel I could have done better if I prepared differently,  I am still happy with the outcome....even though noone was at the finish line cheering for me =P


As I reflect back on the run, there are elements that I feel I would have approached differently. In some ways I feel that for the second half of the run I was in survival mode, just looking to reach the end anyway I could. I wasnt enjoying the run as much as the first half and this made it all the more painful.

The interesting thing about this is that in some ways it relates to what was preached at church on Saturday night. Pastor David was talking about how we need to stop living in survival mode and stepping out into the blessings of God, grabbing the promises that God has made for us. We dont need to live a life where we are only just getting by. We should be living lives that are overflowing with the blessings of God. But sometimes we are just too focused on just getting by, just surviving, that we miss the bigger picture.

In John 10:10 we hear Jesus say the following:
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
We must never forget what Jesus is saying here. We are to have life to the full, not half way, not partial, but to the full! We must not just look at what we need to get through another day. For we all have the blessings of God on our lives, for He wants to bless us in far more ways than we could ever imagine, just as it says in Ephesians 3:20 -
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,
 So when I reflect on this now, I know that next time, and there definitely will be a next time, next time I do a run of this type, I will just relax and enjoy the ride more...and i know that in the end I will ultimately enjoy it much more and hopefully get a better time while I am at it!

It is good to praise the LORD
    and make music to your name, O Most High,

to proclaim your love in the morning
    and your faithfulness at night,

to the music of the ten-stringed lyre
    and the melody of the harp.

For you make me glad by your deeds, O LORD;
    I sing for joy at the works of your hands.

How great are your works, O LORD,
    how profound your thoughts!
(Psalm 92:1-5)

1 comment:

Shen the developer said...

That is definitely remarkable! well done my friend!